Monday, November 27, 2017

27 november

It's surprising how far you can get when you're feeling bad. Maybe this doesn't happen with everyone, but it happens with me. When I am set to do something, like teach, for example, I can usually make it through without collapsing... At least until the day is over. At that point, my body somehow recognizes that it has fulfilled its duty for the day, and promptly ceases to communicate effectively with either my brain or its own constituent parts. It's like someone pulled out my spinal cord, if that isn't a gross enough image. If you prefer something a little bit more whimsical, you might consider the idea that I am a puppet and somehow someone let go of my strings. You know, like a marionette, is what I meant. However, yes, I do find the idea of being a marionette entirely distasteful. Therefore, I chose the more gross of the two options to share with you for consideration as a metaphor. I could have just said “Sometimes I get sick and tired and then I collapse and feel sleepy and sick and go all achy. However, that's not who I am. I'm a writer. I have things to say. There is no situation that cannot be made into a metaphor. Or a simile, like, if that's what you like. You see what I did there? As I was saying, I'm a writer. It's my right. See what else I did there? Yes, I do think I am funny. I also think I am punny. Punishingly so. I hope you will. When people somehow decide not to play along with wordplay, it's very distressing for the rest of us who do enjoy that kind of banter. Is it important, or even helpful at all in communication? Truly for some of us, the successful use of or recognition of puns can serve as a sort of indicator or early warning sign if you like about whether you are going to get along with someone else.

No comments: