Saturday, November 29, 2014

29 november



Coffee and Cigarettes is one of those things. I first saw it years before I met C. Really not sure how it first came to my attention, actually. If you haven’t seen it, I’d probably recommend it. Maybe not a success in all crowds, but people I like tend to like it. (This is not a test.)

So it’s a series of black and white shorts that all involve – stay calm – both coffee and cigarettes. It was one of the first films that C and I both put on the list and actually watched, long before we had Two Suns plans, as a result of a discussion on – yes, one more time – both coffee and cigarettes. I have strong opinions on both, in case you were wondering.

There are all kinds of people in this film – famous people, I mean. Tom Waits and Iggy Pop! Bill Murray is there – surprise! Wu Tang Clan is surprised to find him there, too. Aren’t we all lucky? Plus, the kicker – Jack and Meg White! Also Jack’s Tesla coil! I don’t want to spoil it for you, but Jack does most of the talking. Surprise!

Anyway, it’s cool. More the coffee than the cigarettes, of course, but it’s a good opportunity to consider how coffee appears in so many different scenes and with so many different characters. It’s one of those constants that supports, promotes, facilitates, entertains and encourages change. Who knew that watching this experimental-ish styled film would be one more step on the path to the experiment that is Two Suns?

Plus, did I say that it’s in black and white? Right. And that.

No comments: