Saturday, November 15, 2014

15 november



Anyway. Diners. Excitingly promising. Regulars with known orders. Tourists and travelers passing through. Characters of all sorts. Have you ever read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter? It’s amazing. I know it sounds like a cheesy romance – the way I strongly recommend The Princess Bride, and then hear myself saying this title and know it will be misunderstood by some as a kind of dress-up game for little girls under the age of 7 – but it’s most excellent. And, yes, it’s connected to a diner. With fascinating characters. Mick Kelly, the star but not the star, gave me a nickname for a time. That is, she didn’t give it to me, but I received her name as an homage to the book. We have the same initials. We’re both really cool. And stuff. And no, I didn’t give myself the nickname. Just like I recently said my niece “goes by” a certain nickname, but really, she’s one. Year old. She doesn’t “go by” anything. It’s just something people call her. Like me. Also others. Have I told you this story before? Anyway. Read the book. Carson McCullers. When she was 23! Phew.

No comments: