Friday, November 28, 2014

28 november



Getting ready for the holidays, we’re preparing to send holiday cards out to our supporters. I just made a list of the people we will definitely be sending to. At this moment, it’s about 12 households. You’re right. That’s not too many. Still, it’s a start. Wait, 13. No, 14. It’s an expanding list. A few more to come before we send, probably, but you get the idea.

This is the part that interests me. How will we go from being a name in a dozen households across the country to a recognizable local phenomenon?

Storytelling is part of it, I think. I’m excited about the story we have already and the story to come. I’m excited to tell the story and to revise our early drafts into more polished efforts. I’m excited to think about other people thinking of us and making us part of their stories. I’m excited about the stories that we’ll help to create for others.

Networking is definitely part of it. I don’t love this. Sure, I like having friends and family, and I appreciate all of their help and support. However, the idea of asking people to support something that’s more or less a pet project to start with… it’s a challenge. I used to have to sell Girl Scout cookies, and that was kind of along the same lines. Still, in that case, my dad would take the order form to work, my mom would do the same, and I could always ask my teachers, too, beyond the awkward walk around the neighborhood knocking on doors. Now, though, the situation is pretty different. I’m not walking around annoying people and asking them for their help. Instead, I’m setting up shop and hoping that people come to me and offer their help. Come one, come all! Tell your friends! Simple enough.

Innovation will be a thing. Is a thing. Being unique is certain – there’s no suns like two suns, like they say. Who says this? Don’t worry about it. The point is, we’ll need to stand out, and preferably in a good way. New ideas. New connections. New ways to attract, impress, and keep our customers. Sure, we can’t intrigue everyone, but we can do our best to keep it fresh for those we’d love to have as customers.

No comments: