Saturday, November 22, 2014

22 november



Sometimes things just align correctly, seemingly without any input.

Are they coincidences? Evidence of some divine plan? Serendipitous synchronicity?

I feel like I write about this a lot. Probably because I feel like it happens fairly regularly. There are a few reasons why, I’d guess

  • I’m a storyteller. When interesting things happen to me, I’m likely to tell the story – either in writing or in conversation, sometimes repeatedly. The telling of the story itself – magically, perhaps – generates more interesting happenings, which leads to more stories. Basically: the telling of stories causes new stories.

  • That’s what’s supposed to happen. For whatever reason, the seeming coincidences are actually designed as signposts or markers that indicate the appropriate path. I’m not a big believer in pre-ordained paths or any sort of religiously oriented set-up toward diving meaning and fulfillment, but the appearance of these apparent coincidences can definitely create the feeling that such signs are significant and suggestive of success.

An example:

I’ve just entered the library to do some work. For whatever reason, the public library here is not open until 10 am on Saturdays. What? Okay, fine. [On Sundays, it’s only open 1-5! Can you believe it?] Anyway. Last week, I was here a little before the library actually opened, and was therefore one of the first people through the doors. As a result, I was able to acquire one of my favorite little work cubbies – the first one in the row, on the left, beside the windows. No one behind me, sunshine and squirrels to my left, and nearly a straight shot up to the front door – past the kids’ section, math tutoring, and the Hot Picks and New Releases sections. Perfectly placed in the corner, but not too stuffy. The Goldilocks Seat.

Last week, I was ahead of the game. This week, I overslept. That is, I woke up early, and then repeatedly chose more sleep over rising. Not a mistake, not a disaster, but not conducive to getting work done early in the day. As a result, while I still headed to the library – after a leisurely breakfast of Grape Nuts and coldbrew and comics – I was certain that I’d be forced to park in some less savory seat. There’s nothing wrong with other parts of the library, of course. Still, sitting at a larger table in a more open area certainly increases the likelihood of distraction. Distraction can certainly happen in The Goldilocks Seat – witness last week’s appearance of the White Gold Mutterer as well as a number of Those Enjoying Music Too Loudly On Headphones, Where Music Is Not Limited To Said Headphones – but the odds are more strongly against it.

Upon entering the library around 11:36 – not the exact time, but certainly a similarly non-specific moment – I was well aware of the likely need to sit somewhere else. Still, I headed toward The Goldilocks Seat, with the plan to turn down the adjacent aisle in search of another spot. Lo! Behold! When first I saw TGS, I was stunned to discover that it was in the process of being vacated by a twentysomething guy with two backpacks and an already-on winter hat. Whether he’d been wearing the hat the whole time [a cool thing? a hair containment thing?] was irrelevant, as he was definitely in the throes of departure. I thought about heading straight there and hovering, but I held back, heading instead down the aisle, as if searching for another seat. Only one or two other seats were available, but by the time I’d made this note, the Winter Hat Man was on his way, bags all packed and ready to go [perhaps leaving on a jet plane?]. I proceeded smoothly and directly to the still-warm seat, where I decided immediately to tell you all about it.

Of course this seat would be available. Of course it would only just be made available in time for me to sit. These are indications that I’m doing the right thing, right? Of course I should tell you all about it – that way, more good things will happen, right? Maybe it’s an exaggeration to say that I was stunned – that’s a strong word. Delighted sounds a little too silly. When these things happen, it’s easiest to murmur of course or synchronicity. Anything more would be absurd, right?

Of course.

No comments: