Wednesday, November 24, 2010

justwrite 24 november

today in yoga this is a true story I was the first person in the room with the teacher and at the very end when we were finishing our eyes-closed laying down corpse pose and then the eyes-closed kneeling finishing pose where taras always finishes by saying vcim dobre ranok good morning to everyone today he just said dobre ranok and when I opened my eyes I was surprised to discover that I was the only one and there was no everyone left and I laughed but really I was a little thrown off of course I heard people leaving of course I knew some were on their way to work or whatever but I I who had done the least and stretched the least and shown the least flexibility I stuck it out I muddled through the easy part the laying down on my back and thinking about how hard it is to think about nothing and then he said to me is it not hard to you? which is the rough translation of Ukrainian with an emphasis on the very common tendency here to assume the negative well in this case the negative is true and I said yes yes it’s very hard to me and I like to do it but it’s very hard and then he said do you have a blah blah? and I said do I have a what? and then in English he said diary? and I said of course before I knew why and then he said okay bring it in and I will write exercises in it and also you always should come and I said okay I just travel a lot and he said where do you travel oh to kyiv and chernihiv and to lviv and he said by car? and I said no I cannot drive here volunteers cannot drive in America I can drive but here no no I go by bus and he said don’t you know an acquaintance with a car? and I said no no but it’s not bad and he said well you can do these exercises when you travel and I said yes yes thank you and when I was leaving I said harnoho vam dnya which means you polite have a nice day! but I sort of flubbed when I said dnya and it sounded more like dinya so I wonder if he thought I was saying you have a nice melon! because of course this is what dinya means and I was shaking my head about this out into the cold cold light and suddenly I saw that the bus I wanted was right at the stop so I ran to get on and the driver started to take off just as I got one foot on the step and I barely got the second foot up before he shut the door the rear door I know he didn’t see me but I slipped into a seat and felt distressed both about narrowly avoiding a dragalong bus ride as well as feeling sort of like I was called out for sort of sucking at yoga and I know it wasn’t like that and it wasn’t in front of anyone else and really it was probably the best thing I could ask for because really I would like to be better and more flexible but so embarrassing to know that he looks at me and thinks oh dear she really is just not getting in really is just not able to do this stuff really can not lift her leg up straight enough to form a perfect Y with her other arm out really oh dear but then suddenly I realized that I wasn’t sure if he said the word exercises or vypravy which is the same thing in Ukrainian and I definitely knew what he meant but suddenly at that moment sitting on the bus I was aware that to me vypravy means the same thing as exercises to the point where upon later reflection I cannot tell which word was used to convey this meaning and finally I felt a little victorious from my safe seat in the successfully boarded bus this is a true story and I will tell it to you sometime in a better way but for now here is all of the information and you can elaborate as you need to for now just to keep it interesting for yourself

No comments: