Sunday, November 25, 2018

25 november

The song was a classic. What was the title again?

“I always end up listening to every song like it’s about me,” said the woman musingly, holding the coffee cup in both hands and staring into what must have been her reflection.

Had he said that out loud?

“Ah, you’re so vain,” he blurted out, then laughed. If you laugh it makes it clear that you’re intending to be funny, right?

She laughed. A relief. He found himself actively hoping she didn’t say “LOL”. That would be the end. (Of what? Of anything.)

“You’re so right.” She set down the mug on the counter, peeled open a new plastic thimblefull of half and half, then poured it into the coffee -- with affected artistry -- in a swirling pattern. Then she looked up at him, smiled, and lifted the mug to show him. “And here I am just checking out the clouds in my coffee… clouds in my coffee, yeah.”

No comments: