Saturday, November 19, 2016

19 november

A few students shifted in their chairs. Or in her imagination. Either way, she quickly added, “I think that if you have that kind of faith or belief system, more power to you. Or to whoever you choose to believe is in charge, I guess. I don’t mean any disrespect. It must be great to be able go to bed at night or wake up in the morning and know that everything will work out the way it’s meant to.”

“That doesn’t mean everything’s perfect, just because there’s a plan,” shot out a girl across the room. Defensive. Not just imagined.

“No, of course not. I mean--”

“So in relation to the story?” Plodding a bit, but kind.

“So, the same. If I’m reading something -- or if I’m writing something -- I don’t want to have the whole situation completely planned out, with the route laid out in front of me. I don’t want to open the book and have a big map inside the front cover, then spend the whole book tracing that map.”

Defensive seat-shifting among the fans of fantasy and science fiction.

“So, down with plot?” She knew that one on one, he was great. Some of the interpretation was for the benefit of the group.

“Of course there should be some plot. I just don’t want to plot the whole plot in advance. Otherwise, sometimes I end up with my plot plotting against me!”

No comments: