Friday, November 8, 2013

8 november



I was hoping for a real and sustainable solution, something that would speak to me. Knowing that I wasn’t going to just walk into a library and find something, I decided to just walk into a library. And maybe find something.

Right?

Sure.

This comes from a good place. Libraries and books are kind of a big deal to me. My mom’s a librarian. My dad writes. I once stayed overnight in a tent in a library. I learned to juggle in a summer library reading program. In elementary school, reading, as rewarded through Book-It, provided me with a nearly inexhaustible supply of personal pan pizzas from Pizza Hut. When I moved into a new school in sixth grade, first place in the March of Dimes Reading Champions program provided me with a plastic gold medal and the disdain/ admiration of my new classmates. Woo hoo! I’ve spent most of my professional life as an English teacher. Books! Libraries! Yay!

It’s a new area for me – the town, not libraries in general, see – so it’s a fairly new library to me.

I’m always delighted by how quiet it is. Yes, a library… not shocking. But it’s awesome.

Should we skip ahead? You already know that I’m going to find something. It’s that kind of book.

No comments: