Saturday, November 3, 2012

3 november



Today I went to a meeting. I drove almost an hour and a half to get to a two hour meeting of an organization that does not exist. (While it’s also true that I spent most of the afternoon shopping with no money, as well, in an unanticipated exercise in further irony, this is a wholly separate story involving Trader Joe’s, a fire alarm, and free cookies.)

Why did I do this? (Not ‘why did I eat the free cookies’ [technically just one, really]—get out of the parentheses, and out of the brackets, too, for that matter.) Why did I go to this meeting? Community.

This is not about to be a speech. I’m not getting up on my soapbox.

Anyway, it’s a book.

And I don’t have a soapbox, either.

And why a soapbox, really? Don’t other things come in boxes? Why didn’t holier-than-thou lecturers ever decide to stand on lima bean crates, or thread bins? Yes, every Student of English as a Second or Foreign Language ever, the English language is fascinatingly distracting and question-provoking.

Ahem.

No comments: