Monday, November 19, 2012

19 november

A double-feature today!
--



If you wanted to buy fresh milk, where would you get it? Would you buy it from a store, where it was factory-sealed in a carton and where you could check the expiration date? Would you buy it on the side of a road, where it was packaged in a repurposed plastic soda bottle and sitting out in the sun, watched over by a little old lady and her dog?

Well, are you American or Ukrainian?

Let’s imagine you are American. If you’re American, your understanding of stores is that they carry items that have been checked and inspected and held to a high standard of quality control. Items in a store will not be past their expiration date, will be properly stored to maintain freshness, and will consistently meet a consumer’s expectations. If you’re American, you have been trained to believe that milk sitting outside in the sun will have curdled into something disgusting, unhealthy, and downright unsanitary, and that the potential contamination due to its proximity to the dog and its extended exposure to direct sunlight will render this sample both undrinkable and highly hazardous. You, American, choose the milk in the store.

Now, let’s imagine that you’re Ukrainian. As a Ukrainian, you believe that stores are not to be trusted. You know someone whose cousin once got extremely ill from drinking milk that was bought in a store and marked with an apparently incorrect expiration date, or maybe you just saw a story about a similar situation on the news once. You also know of plenty of cases in which nasty things like glass and garbage show up in frozen vareneky (pierogies) and other store-bought foods and would never allow your friends to eat them. As a Ukrainian, you personally know the lady who is sitting outside by the side of the road selling the milk from the plastic soda bottle. She lives next door to your cousin, Oleh, and she has a very fine cow. The milk is very good because her cow is very good. Her dog’s name is Zhaba, like “frog”, because he does a funny trick where he hops like a frog and makes all the children laugh. You, Ukrainian, choose the milk in the soda bottle.

Cheers!

//

Ukrainians are against chemicals. I dislike making over-generalizations, so I do my best to avoid them. That being said, all Ukrainians are against chemicals.

Labels on all kinds of things read “БЕЗ ГМО”—without genetically modified organisms. Soda, water, cheese, toothpaste, chips, carrots, maybe notebooks. I feel like these are all items I’ve seen with labels identifying them as being free of genetically modified organisms. Great. Would I see them floating in my water?

Don’t take medicine unless you absolutely have to. Take some kind of homemade remedy. Mix something up yourself. Better yet, get your granny to recommend something. Beer and honey, or was it beer and milk and honey? Eat more garlic. And onions. And soup.

My favorite demonstration about the importance of avoiding chemicals, however, involves apples. I guess it could be seen as a potential cautionary tale for the Snow Whites of the world, those for whom wicked witches are always scheming horrid deaths by irresistibly gorgeous produce.

“Never eat the beautiful apples,” Vika tells me one day, very seriously.

I laugh, expecting a joke. I look over at Maria, who is nearby, waiting for her to start laughing, too.

“It’s true,” she says, nodding. “My father says the same thing. You can’t trust the pretty apples.”

I turn back to Vika, my best friend and most consistent source of knowledge in this whole country.

“Chemicals,” confirms Vika, confirmed.

Maria? Studying at the top university in the capital city?

Maria nods. “Chemicals.”

“You can only eat the ugly apples,” Vika tells me, handing me an ugly apple.

It’s good to have friends who care, I think, looking down at the ugly apple. I’m under no illusion that I’m a fairy tale princess, but if any evil queen is out to get me, she’ll have to go through these two first.

No comments: