Thursday, June 23, 2011

justwrite 23 june

I am preparing to be packed I am egging to be cracked and if that won’t cut it then something else must it’s a red knife sharpest in the land and the green one didn’t make it kept safe in the basement and other sounds I am rounding the corners they were too sharp I am playing the flute I got caught in a harp and the saxophone temporarily allowed was shrouded in excitement the right fingers but the wrong tongue unstrung into confusion the illusion of cool a deep blue pool dribbling down from the black sky the neon lights and other surprises we are rising to the occasion but the trombone was just out and I had my doubts but I was stubborn and I could not believe so neatly deceived of my own power and just a few words undeserved about embouchure and it’s surely not that important not at the professional level mind you and I had a mind to play anyway but that’s a lot of brass to crash a party with especially for a woodwind and none too delicate never the problem never the pink-socked twinkle-toed issue not a tomboy but not that kind of girl nothing like a curl too straight to navigate your hair’s too straight to braid my friend told me the other day and how could I argue it’s not much of a slumber party trick it’s just not thick and another thing but I guess that’s all I was taller than imagining and a trombone would have fit just right but the passing delight of being different and pushing an envelope just far enough across the table to show I’m stable but moving and the truth is I played on I stayed on in the flute section and had to mention the piccolo the alto but never the bass not one in the place with a roundabout mouthpiece an extra bend of column made for soaking up the air the most breath-demanding instrument other than the tuba you’re just throwing it blowing it all away and nothing gold can stay in a silver line but the golden line just fine to keep the headjoint fresh this is a thing that I loved this is a material girl and I cleaned those open-holed keys and I felt my fingers sparkle as I played the light on the stage and the best posture manageable dangling my right pinky onto each tiny tab on the foot joint how low anyone could go and this was how I played this is the role I made and modeled for and kept close in a black case with blue velvet lining defining my own view I’m the one who and so I was

No comments: