Sunday, August 16, 2009

class clothes

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is buy new clothes for class. I remember the green and white gingham dress that got ripped during recess on my first day of first grade. I ran all the way home at recess because I was so upset that my new dress was ruined. My mom had to call the school and let them know where I was. I remember the wild tie-dyed looking polyester tee that I had for fourth grade that sported a Tiki design made of plastic beads on the front. I recall the jeans that I just had to have that were hip hugging on the top and wide on the bottom with an inset panel of embroidered flowers on each leg. In high school it was the same excitement, just more choice. I loved the white cotton jacket that I wore with everything, and the Sassoon pink and white tee shirt with the logo on the chest. These were back to school must haves, and they made an impression on me. When I started to teach I did the same thing, only I was not quite so up to date with the fashions of the time, but I still had to have something new for the first day at least. I wonder what I will get this year and will it be memorable or not?

No comments: