Tuesday, November 15, 2011

justwrite 15 november

From Vanya, a note with the subject line “not exactly strangers on a train”. She loves this.

1. He’s familiar with Hitchcock.

2. He knows how to write an intriguing subject line.

3. He’s saying that they’re not strangers.

4. He wrote to her. At all.

Adrian set distantly aside, she reads from Vanya.

Such a pleasure to spend train time with you! Sorry for my not writing sooner, but time is slippery.

I hope your conference was productive and enjoyable and your return trip was pleasant. Maybe another traveler was lucky enough to share the trip with you?

I told my sister about meeting you and she didn’t believe that an American girl would travel alone on a Ukrainian train. I told her that you weren’t alone, you were with me. She laughed.

When you will be in Kyiv again, write me, and I will show you the city properly. We have much to talk about, you and I. I think we can create something: projects, actions, something. I remember what you said about being in Peace Corps, about inventing and reinventing your life and living toward your dreams. As for me, this is a very powerful thought, and I am thinking about it still.

Write me about your inventings, dear, and I will tell you my dreams.

-V-

Aileen wants to call someone to her desk and have them read this email. Out loud. To be sure. Dear? It’s true that Ukrainians use many terms of endearment, and dear is a very mild form, but please. And thank you. This is the email she would have written herself from Vanya. And yet, here it is. Not from Susan, even. This is real.

When Adrian comes into the office and smiles at her, she gives back a huge smile. It’s not to him, but he doesn’t know that or mind much.

Her brain is on fire and she feels like running.

No comments: